Tails and Ales: Spent Grain Dog Treats at NBPT Brewing!
As many of you may know the Tasting Room here at the Newburyport Brewing Co. is a great place to sit down and enjoy a beer with your four legged friend, which is why we have teamed up with Quinn’s Canine Café to bring you the Molasses-Ale Dog Treat!
Made with the spent grain from our very own Plum Island Belgian White, the Molasses-Ale Dog treat is the perfect way to share a “beer” with your best friend. These yummy treats contain no hops or alcohol and are the go to snack for many of our four legged regulars. Be sure to stop into Quinn’s bakery located at the Tannery on 50 Water Street, Newburyport, MA for more delectable doggy delights!
Interested in baking your own spent grain dog treats? Here is an easy recipe that is sure to please!
Ingredients (for about 30 dog treats):
- 2 cups spent grain
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- Use your spent grains as soon as possible after brew day. If making the treats after brew day, collect the leftover grains and either refrigerate or freeze them to avoid mold.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Use a rolling pin and a cookie cutter to form the treats, or just shape them by hand. Be sure to make the treats a size that’s appropriate for your dog.
- Bake the treats at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 200F and bake for an additional 3 hours to dry them out. Once cool, store them in an airtight container.
- Reward your pup for being a good brew mate with a yummy dog treat! Don’t forget to store the treats out of reach. Fido is bound to love ‘em!